I talk with Eve Wiley about how she discovered she was conceived via a sperm donor. Her journey to uncover the mystery of her biological father is filled with twists and turns and, ultimately, an unbelievable outcome — that now finds her advocating for changes in the laws in 42 states where fertility fraud is still legal.
You’ll find out:
– Eve’s backstory
– How sperm banks/donors worked in the 80s
– The doctor’s recommendation to Eve’s parents (re: sperm donor)
– How anonymity breeds fraud
– Things that raise doubt re: why Eve’s father sought a sperm donor
– Experiences (growing up) that caused Eve to know something wasn’t right
– What happened with Eve at 16 that led to her finding out the truth
– The surprising emotion Eve felt when finding out the truth
– Forced gratitude many adopted / sperm donor children experience
– Why it felt like a second chance when Eve discovered the truth
– The process in which Eve had to wait until she was 18 to find her artificial insemination donor (bio dad)
– The very first time Eve met her biological father and the relationship that developed
– When things changed for Eve re: her bio dad
– Does a donor typically know how many offspring they may have produced?
– Why there are crazy numbers of half siblings in the US
– When Eve discovered her DNA doesn’t match her “bio” dad’s
– The difficult decisions/choices Eve made that truly show her character (that could’ve remained a secret)
– The motivation of the doctor
– Did Eve confront the doctor and did he accept culpability?
– The advice Eve gave her mom re: the deception and how to accept things
– Did Eve get the impression she was the first to confront the doc?
– How Eve’s experience is an example of rape culture
– Eve’s professional life before she became an advocate (and how it helped with her understanding of victimization)
– The problem with doctors policing doctors
– How/why hair salons (for example) have to worry about violations more than doctors do
– Eve’s suggestion as to where to start if you suspect you might be doctor-conceived
– The power and corruption of NDAs
– How we can help re: patients rights and legislation
– How YOU made a difference by my simply tagging people on a Reel re: Bills
States Fertility Fraud is legal: https://evewiley.com/passed-legislation
And don’t forget to join my weekly newsletter for lifestyle tips and deals of the week: https://chalene.com